I'm excited to go back to school! I mean, really excited. Finally doing what I want to do!
I've realized that sometimes, when you've dealt with so many painful situations, there's the danger of becoming so used to those situations, that you never really let yourself enjoy the good things in your life. The yoke has already been unlocked, and yet you can still be carrying it around your neck because you don't think you deserve to be happy. But the past is the past for a reason--it's over and done! It doesn't have to dictate who you are or who you will be. If God opened the door, why are you still standing outside?! Go in, take your shoes off and relax! Like mom always said, you can be bitter, or you can be better.
And I'm so much more prepared. This time around, there's a much smaller chance of the financial problems I had previously with school creeping back up again. This time around, I'm better prepared to handle the stresses of an academic, social, and working life. I've learned how to properly manage my time, and when to say no and spend the night in doing work instead. I know how to deal with crazy roommates. I know that all nighters make you look more worn out than a Ford Pinto and should be avoided at all costs (the last time I did that, by 6 AM I was typing and dozing off at the same time and drooling onto the keyboard; not cool, especially when you're in a computer lab). I know that sleeping in too long on Sunday mornings cuts down on available study time. I know the importance of saving money, especially when in college. I know what works and what doesn't work in a dorm room setting (desktop computers are the devil), and I know how to organize and pack things efficiently. I've been able to use this time off to sharpen my cooking and food shopping skills, so that I can make cheap, healthy meals on my own and avoid meal plan costs (and I can even entertain!). I know what type of "friends" to avoid, and what kind of friends to keep, how to handle different situations as an adult, and I know I'm mature enough to let the drama-prone chicken heads do their clucking far, far away from me!
And I'm excited to able to stretch my academic and intellectual muscles again! It's been too long!
And besides, Cape Town is gorgeous!
Listen: "Encourage Yourself" - Donald Lawrence & the Tri-City Singers
3 comments:
Yati,
What part of South Africa are you in? I have two good friends there right now. They live and work there, and have for a few years now. They are strong Christians and great, FUN people. It would be fun to somehow connect you with them because I think the three of you would really hit it off.
Also, have you ever heard of JAM, Joint Aid Management?
I am so excited for you. I can completely relate to what you write. Sometimes I think that I would have gotten so much more out of college if I knew then what I know now...however - I am who I am now because of the way I handled my time then. Regardless, you are going to do so great in school and I look forward to you sharing with us the things you are learning in those classes you will be taking.
I would have probably bust him to the white meat!
I'm crazy like that!
Post a Comment