Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Palm Tree Christmas/Merry Independence!

I often find the holidays interesting. The term "tradition" is a bit lost on me, since from age 10 or so, my holiday experiences have never been consistently the same. It's quite interesting to see where I end up towards the end of each year. A bit gypsy-like, but interesting--and always enjoyable. I never really plan on doing much, and always end up busy and bouncing from one place to another. For someone like myself who loves variety, it's great.

This year is quite different in a few ways, however. For one thing, IT. IS. HOT. It's been either 90 or near 90 for the past week and a half. Which is ok, if you like warm weather. But I am a child of the snow--fall and winter are my favorite seasons. So this business of Halloween feeling more like Memorial Day and Christmas feeling like the Fourth of July (thus, my new holiday greeting of "Merry Independence!")...definitely going to take some getting used to. It's hard to sing songs like "Baby, It's Cold Outside" or "Frosty the Snowman" when you're wearing shorts and flip-flops and trying desperately not to sweat through another good shirt. Even without the other, more formal traditions--huge family dinner, etc.-- I still had one thing: the cold. I suppose I can get used to it sooner or later, but I'm keeping my pictures of snow handy in the meantime.

Then there's the other thing: family! It's the first time in a very long time when I've been almost exclusively with blood relations over the holidays--or just in general, actually. It's nice and a bit weird at the same time. (Sidebar: I have to say I am incredibly grateful for those who have welcomed me into their homes and lives; definitely some of the most precious moments in my life. I thank, love, and miss you all!) I'm so used to basically being adopted into other people's families, that being in my own is...odd. I slip into the role of houseguest/fun family friend/entertainer so easily it's almost second nature (and I miss it!), but finding my "new" role, and where I fit in my own family, is quite different altogether. I don't mean to say that I feel alienated, but every now and then it's hard to feel apart of everything when people share so much history that I don't, or speak in a language I don't understand. But all in all, as time goes by, and places and names become more familiar, I am feeling more at home. And my life-of-the-party trait is always there ready and waiting to be unleashed, so once I feel a bit more comfortable...watch out now!

But yeah. It's hot.

Anyway, whatever you celebrate and where ever you are, hopefully this holiday season finds you happily at peace!!!

No comments: