Friday, November 16, 2007

You Actually SHOULD Have Gone to Rehab....


It's a shame, really. Another great artist gone to waste ( or should I say, wasted?).

It seems that the infamous Ms. Winehouse all but disgraced herself at the opening of her tour in England. Reportedly, people were leaving the stadium in droves, extremely disappointed with the singer's lackluster performance. She was more than half an hour behind schedule, and when she finally did arrive on stage, she was slurring, stumbling, and singing terribly off-key.

Why it is necessary for today's Young Hollywood to all but obliterate themselves with the help of drugs and/or alcohol, I will never understand. Not to say that I haven't had my own share of crayz nights, but there are things which one must put aside in favor of other pursuits, i.e., a career.

And Ms. Winehouse's career was soaring. She bascially owned the airwaves during the earlier part of 2007, and I can truly say without hesitation that her album "Back to Black " is nothing short of amazing. It really is reminiscent of Lauryn Hill's soulful-sound-meets-lyrics-so-blunt-they'll-slap-you-in-the-face style that we all miss. The music draws upon a combination of 1920s "Big Band" style and 1960s Motown flavor that I am enamored of lately. If she is surrounded by the right people, and interested in making good decisions, Amy Winehouse has the power to become one of the most notable modern artists.

Which makes it even more unfortunate that these things have happened. I can't really judge her, since I have neither met her nor do I know her personally; all any of us can do is wish her the best. For my part, I do hope she gets her self together, because I 'd hate to have her virtually disappear a la Lauryn Hill, and I know for a fact that we do not need a British version of Britney.

Just the idea makes me want to vomit.

Read the article here.

No comments: